Usain Bolt, running the penultimate race of his career, led Jamaica safely through their semi-final in the 4×100 metres relay at the World Athletics Championships on Saturday while United States ran the fastest time of the year.Bolt, who announced on Monday that he would also run in the heats, will race for the last time in the final on Saturday when he hopes to bow out with his 20th global championship title.Running the last leg, Bolt eased home, looking over his shoulder, as Jamaica won the second of the two semi-final heats in 37.95 seconds, ahead of France (38.03) and China (38.20).Jamaica are aiming for a fifth successive world title in the event but will face a stiff challenge from the U.S. who won the first heat in 37.70 seconds, with Christian Coleman, silver medallist in the 100 metres, running the anchor leg.”It feels like second nature because we work well together. We are confident we can win. We will go and prepare well for tonight,” said Michael Rogers, who ran the first leg for the United States.Britain were second in the first heat in 37.76, also faster than Jamaica’s time, while Japan were third. Canada and Turkey also qualified as the fastest losers.Bolt’s presence ensured a capacity crowd for the morning session. “It’s hard to be sad because of the energy I’m getting from the crowd,” said the Jamaican, who suffered a rare defeat in the 100 metres when he took bronze.
HALIFAX — The federal justice minister says it is up to the Nova Scotia government to initiate a public inquiry into the case of a Halifax man who was wrongfully convicted of murdering his former girlfriend.Glen Assoun was convicted in 1999 of the knifing murder of Brenda Way four years earlier.The 63-year-old man spent almost 17 years in prison and over four years on bail before being exonerated earlier this year.Justice Minister David Lametti said today in Halifax that he believes the provincial government has the necessary jurisdiction to probe the miscarriage of justice, and the federal government would co-operate in any inquiry the province decides to have.The federal NDP and Green party leaders have called on Ottawa to order an independent review of the case to determine how the wrongful conviction occurred.The leaders have said an independent probe is needed to determine why the RCMP destroyed potential evidence prepared by an analyst in an RCMP unit looking at the behaviour of serial offenders.Nova Scotia Justice Minister Mark Furey has already said he will review the matter and “consider next steps in consultation with my federal colleagues.”A federal Justice Department report made public on July 12 revealed that the RCMP erased and disposed of Moore’s theories of other suspects — including multiple murderer Michael McGray — in the Brenda Way case.Moore built his case using conventional investigative techniques, along with the Violent Crime Linkage Analysis System, or ViCLAS — a national database that makes links between cases based on the behaviour of violent murderers like McGray.The federal report that helped exonerate Assoun also says McGray, who was convicted of seven murders, has denied killing Way, saying in police interviews that he wouldn’t make an innocent man spend time in a federal prison. The Canadian Press
Former Olympic gold medalist Michael Johnson is running amok with his mouth these days. First he said that African Americans are strong athletes because they are descendants of slaves and have a genetic advantage. He followed up that unfounded claim with a dose of total insensitivity.The world-record holder in the 400 meter race said South African sprinter and double amputee Oscar Pistorius should not be allowed to participate in the Olympics. Before he shot down Pistorius, Johnson prefaced his venom by calling the running “a friend.”“I consider Oscar a friend of mine, but he knows I am against him running,” Johnson told the London Telegraph. “Because this is not about Oscar; it’s not about him as an individual. It is about the rules you will make and put in place for the sport which will apply to anyone, and not just Oscar.”Huh?Pistorius, also known as “The Blade Runner,” has garnered a lot of attention since being approved to compete in the London Games. The South African sprinter lost the lower part of his legs as a child and uses blade-like prosthetic limbs when he competes on the track.Johnson isn’t the first to broach the subject of whether a disabled runner whose limbs have been rebuilt with modern technology be allowed to compete with able-bodied athletes? But Johnson was far from eloquent in explaining his position.Meanwhile, Pistorius finished second in a 400-meter race in Italy on Tuesday, his final tuneup for Olympics. He clocked 46.56 seconds – well off the personal best of 45.07 he ran at the same meet last year. Calvin Smith of the United States won in 45.52.“My time wasn’t among the best. But I’m good physically and mentally,” Pistorius said. “I’ve used a lot of energy in these past few days, both in training and with the media because of my participation in the Olympics. The race went well, I felt fine, I just lost a bit of acceleration halfway through.”Pistorius will become the first amputee track athlete to compete at the Olympics after being selected by South Africa. He’s set to compete in the individual 400 and the 4×400 relay, although the team hasn’t decided which leg he will run.
Recommended for you PDM says Opposition not officially invited; gives stance on SIPT Related Items:12 storey building, grace bay strip, town hall meeting Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Five Cays town hall meeting reveals MP plans Town Meetings engineered for public feedback; both tonight Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 11 Aug 2015 – While it has faced some changes in public interaction strategies and changes in town meeting dates, tomorrow is pegged as the day for people to weigh in on the 12-storey building proposed for the award winning Grace Bay strip. The government believes the World’s #1 Island, Providenciales, needs the proposed development, saying in a public invite that: “The main objective is economic benefit, job growth, and stimulation of the construction industry, auxiliary services and tourism related businesses. This move by the government will bring the much-needed increase in bed count to support the projected upsurge in airlift to meet the demand of year on year rise in tourism arrivals.” But there are some who do not agree with the 140 feet or 12 storeys and all are invited to meeting tomorrow at the Gus Lightbourne Gym at 7pm.
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, September 15, 2017 – Kingston – The West Kingston Incursion Victim Compensation Committee has been given a one-month extension to complete its work. Making the disclosure at yesterday’s (September 13) post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House, Minister of Education, Youth and Information, Senator the Hon. Ruel Reid, said Cabinet has approved payment of a balance of $23.9 million to the Chairman and Commissioners of the Committee. Senator Reid said the additional time is necessary, given the volume of work to be completed.The Committee, which is Chaired by Hon. Justice Seymour Panton, is looking into issues of compensation for the estate of persons who were killed, detained or suffered loss and damage to property during the May 2010 West Kingston upheaval. The establishment of the Committee was one of the recommendations of the Commission of Enquiry Report.The mandate of the Compensation Committee is to investigate and determine claims for compensation, loss and damage to properties and to determine the compensation payable to injured persons and to the personal representatives of deceased persons in respect to the events of May 2010.Other members of the committee are Ministers of Religion, the Reverends Rennard White and Herro Blair Jr. Carlene Larmond, an attorney experienced in litigation, serves as Legal Advisor to the Committee.JIS
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, January 19, 2018 – Nassau – The Government signed a new Industrial Agreement with the Bahamas Customs, Immigration & Allied Workers Union at the Ministry of the Public Service, Thursday, January 18, 2018. Minister of the Public Service and National Insurance the Hon. Brensil Rolle thanked the Minister of Labour, Senator the Hon. Dion Foulkes who he said was instrumental and extremely focused on ensuring that the negotiations concluded in the shortest possible time.He also thanked the negotiators from the Public Service, who assisted and worked tirelessly to ensure that the agreement was reached and signed in a reasonable time.“As always we believe it is the Government’s duty to come to some agreements with the unions that are in the best interests of the people of The Bahamas and the workers. So today, I am very pleased that we are all here to witness this historical event.”Minister Rolle explained that negotiations began in 2012 with the Bahamas Customs, Immigration & Allied Workers Union. “The negotiations themselves progressed to June 2013 when the Union filed an action against the Government claiming that the wages of its members were unilaterally reduced and overtime was a part of their wages.“This matter was resolved in the courts and negotiations again resumed in June 17, 2016. In the interim however, on December 2014, the Government in good faith signed an agreement with the Union, which paid the uniformed members of the bargaining unit on a number of benefits.”He noted, however, that after several meetings in 2016, an agreement was reached on the majority of these issues including an increase in salaries and allowances. However, talks stalled again once again because of a general union concern.Minister Rolle said, “The former Government sort to in our view divide the workers by inviting members of the Customs, Immigration & Allied Union to write into the Government if they wanted their salary advances.“The result of this was devastating to some degree to the public service because the Ministry of the Public Service then had to create two salary parts for individuals who had accepted the advance and those who were complying with the general views of the union.”He said, “To some degree, some refer to this as a strategic attack by the Government to bust the union by encouraging and causing some members to receive benefits before the negotiations were fully addressed. As a result of that when we came to office in May, the Government through the Minister of Labour re-opened these negotiations and successfully in this very short period concluded the results.”For his part, Minister Foulkes said the Minister of Labour played the role of negotiator/conciliator to ensure that the talks went well and that there was respect on both sides of the table, which happened. He said upon being appointed as the Minister of Labour in May 2016, one of the first meetings he had was with Mr. Obie Ferguson and his executive team from the Trade Union Congress which had as number one on its list of concerns, Customs and Immigration.Minister Foulkes also noted that number one on the issue for the Customs and Immigration Officers was keeping the insurance coverage for which they have become accustomed, and the new agreement will allow that to continue.President of the Customs, Immigration & Allied Workers Union Sloan Smith said the Agreement also includes the opening of salary scales that will help some individuals who were stuck at their bar, and an increase in uniform allowance among other benefits. The contract will expire June 30, 2018.By: Llonella Gilbert (BIS)Photo Caption:The Government signed an Industrial Agreement with the Customs, Immigration and Allied Workers Union at the Ministry of the Public Service, Thursday, January 18, 2018. Pictured seated from left: Minister of Financial Services, Trade & Industry and Immigration, the Hon. Brent Symonette; Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance the Hon. Peter Turnquest; Minister of the Public Service and National Insurance the Hon. Brensil Rolle; Trade Union Congress President, Obie Ferguson and President of the Customs, Immigration & Allied Workers Union, Sloan Smith. Standing second from right, Minister of Labour, Senator the Hon. Dion Foulkes.(BIS Photo/Derek Smith) Related Items:
Burnley youngster McNeil has signed a new contract with the club and has put paid to speculations over his exit from the club.The teenager signed his first professional contract at the club last April and has been in blistering form since he made his debut for the club last season.“A lot has happened in a short space of time and I’m happy to have signed a new deal,” McNeil Lancashiretelegraph.“I hadn’t really thought this far ahead but I’m just happy it’s come so soon.Match Preview: Burnley vs Liverpool Boro Tanchev – August 30, 2019 Premier League leaders Liverpool travel to Burnley for the Matchday 4 of the 2019-20 Premier League campaign.“The main aim was to sign it so I can focus on my football and I’ve done that now so I can focus and crack on with what I’m doing.“I think I’ve taken my opportunity well and hopefully I can build on that.“Hopefully I can stay in the team and really focus on this season. I think we’re doing well and we’ve got to keep that form going.“It’s a dream staying in the Premier League. It’s the best league in the world and you always want to stay and play in the Premier League.”
Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: April 17, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, LaDainian Tomlinson encourages San Diego residents to conserve power from 4 PM-9 PM KUSI Newsroom SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego legend and NFL Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson has teamed up with Energy Upgrade California to encourage us to save energy from 4PM – 9PM each day.Tomlinson has teamed up with Energy Upgrade California to encourage San Diego residents to efficiently use power between the hours of 4 PM and 9 PM and to shift use when electricity from renewable resources are available.LT shared some insight on how you can save money on your electricity bill on Good Morning San Diego. Especially since last month, SDG&E became the first of California’s major investor-owned utilities to transition residential customers to time-of-use plans. These plans, and the strategies LT outlines, empower San Diegans to take control of how and when they use energy.Plus, we got to ask him what he thinks about the LA Chargers deciding to use the iconic powder-blue jerseys as their primary home-uniforms for the 2019 season. April 17, 2019 Awesome time hanging out with Ladainian Tomlinson this morning!!! And guess what?! He loves that the Chargers are finally going powder blues too! ???????????? #legend #Chargergreat #LTfan @LT_21 pic.twitter.com/mwfcUwAEb0— Lauren Phinney KUSI (@LaurenKUSI) April 17, 2019